Friday, August 19, 2011

The Big Reveal

It seriously has rained everyday which has made it difficult to finish these chairs - BUT today was a nice day so get ready for the reveal!
Remember what they looked like before:
And here is how they look now:I love them! What a HUGE difference paint and drop cloth can make!
I really wanted to upholster them in vintage grain sacks like these:


But didn't want to pay the price that they cost - so I made my own out of canvas drop cloth, masking tape [painters tape would have been best, but I only had masking tape on hand and wanted to get the chairs done], and acrylic paint. After washing the drop cloth I taped out the lines that I wanted and painted in between the lines with the blue [I used blue and muted it with burnt umber to get county navy blue].


I was really pleased with how it turned out - and it kept the cost low!I painted the chairs with a creamy white latex paint, sanded them for a distressed look, and then used antique glaze to give an aged feel. I love the look of chippy white paint!

Once again here are the before and after pics: I'm so thankful that I found these lovely hitchhikers along the curb - I can't believe they were out with the trash!
Now to convince my husband that we need to keep them...

No comments:

Post a Comment