Tuesday, July 26, 2011

"The Secret Garden"

During my last visit to my parents my only goal was to come back with treasures (aka raiding their attic). Although I have a small hatchback Mazda I was able to acquire four antique frames, two ornate candlesticks, some random decorating props, a large mirror, and this beautiful door knob:


For some reason this reminds me of "The Secret Garden"...maybe it's the contrast of the brick and stone against the vibrant green bushes and shrubs. Either way I loved that book and I adore this piece!







Isn't she beautiful!

I could already envision her being mounted onto a piece of distressed wood, but since I was hoping to keep this project simple I bought a pre-cut pine wood board from AC Moore.



After sanding the board I painted it white and then sanded it again to give it a distressed look. I really wanted to find a vintage copy of "The Secret Garden" to modge podge a page to the distressed board, but couldn't be patient enough to hunt one down. So after talking with Johanna (I always need to hear her opinion) I decided to use vintage sheet music instead. Which meant we would HAVE to take ANOTHER trip to our favorite thrift shop! I'm sure they know us now as "the lady with the orange purse (Johanna) and "the lady with the stroller" (Trina).

Even though I still think the excerpt from the book would have been awesome, I am content with how the vintage sheet music turned out:





All that was left to do was to mount the ornate knob...






I really do love this piece!


Now...what to do with the candlesticks?

1 comment: