Sunday, July 31, 2011

Dumpster Drama

This is a long one, my friends, but oh such a good story- stay with me!

Last Saturday night on the way to a birthday party for a friend's daughter, Trina spotted a pair of really cool window panes and a door sitting by a dumpster. A friend and I walked down to the dumpster with Trina to check them out.. The pieces were huge, but we just had to look them over and imagine what we could do with them despite the obvious- they were never getting into any of our cars. Oh well! The three of us decided to climb on the side of the dumpster and peer in to see if we could snag any treasures that would actually be able to make it home. This sounds easy to do- but we were in buggy, humid 90 degree heat, in the dark without flashlights. Did I mention we were all in flip flops and holding on to the dumpster with one hand and reaching for items with the other hand? Who knew dumpster diving was so acrobatic?

Anyways, we grabbed a few interesting [read: dusty/dirty] boards and walked back to the birthday party, leaving the boards in the front yard. I needed to get my keys and we all were in need of water. Well, we got sidetracked (we were at a birthday party, after all!) so it was maybe an hour later when we went outside to put the boards in my car. But to our horror they were gone! I was so upset, but I tried to remind myself that they were free and I did leave them outside for a while...[sigh]

Amidst all this, another friend of ours, who drives a 12-passenger van, arrived at the birthday party and my eyes lit up! I asked him if he would mind loading his van with the window panes and doors and drive them over to my house. He said yes! I was so giddy I think I actually skipped down the street. He and Mr. Lemon loaded up those heavy, heavy windows and door and took them to our house. Yeah!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! We owe you some yummy cookies!


I was still upset about the lost pieces- we worked so hard and sweated so much to get them! At church the next day I told Trina the sad news of losing the wooden pieces. Our friend (whose family had the dumpster in their driveway) heard about what happened and said "I thought you two picked those pieces- but my dad put them back in the dumpster!" Hooray! Mr. Lemon and I went after church to get them and there they were! Hooray! We also were able to grab a set of large shutters.

Thanks, friends for all your help!

No comments:

Post a Comment